For many young girls, Barbie have become their first association with fashion and dressing up and changing clothes.
Barbie was classified as one of the important dolls promoting the latest trend in fashion dolls. The first ever Barbie doll created in March 9, 1959 wore an eye-popping black and white zebra striped swimsuit, signature topknot ponytail, and timeless open-toed heels and sold in the market in two ways – blonde or brunette.
The first Barbie dolls released are said to have mirrored the style of icons like Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor. From then on, Barbie doll becomes a dream of every little girl.
I researched and found some Barbie trivia:
- Barbie's full name is "Barbie Millicent Roberts."
- Her parents' names are given as George and Margaret Roberts from the fictional town of Willows, Wisconsin.
- Her immediate family after 1992: SKIPPER (sister), STACIE & TODD (twin sister & brother), KELLY (baby sister)
- The original Barbie was named for a real young lady from California named Barbara Handler. Barbie, the teen fashion doll that debuted in 1959 was created by Barbara's mom, Ruth Handler (1916-2002), she named the doll after her daughter.
- The first Barbie cost $3.
- At first, Barbie was a teenaged fashion model, but she's had over 100 careers since then, from astronaut to a medic in Desert Storm. She also represented different countries all over the world.
The "Filipina Barbie" wearing Philippine ethnic clothes
- Today, more than 1 billion Barbie's have been sold. Mattel Toy Company, the company behind the production and evolution of Barbie dolls in the market, is claiming that three Barbie dolls are sold every second around the world.
- The Ken doll was named for Ruth and Elliot Handler's son.
Ken became Barbie's boyfriend in 1961, but they split up on Valentines Day 2004. The Ken doll then had a huge makeover as toy makers Mattel say he's desperate to get Barbie back.
- Barbie’s first pet was a horse called Dancer.
- Barbie didn't have a belly button until 2000.
- Barbie's vital statistics have been estimated at 36 inches (chest), 18 inches (waist) and 33 inches (hips). (WOW!)
Barbie is hitting the big Five-O, tho she shows no signs of losing her body, her face -- or her sense of style. Barbie has remained the ultimate fashionista!